Central London Grid / Quietway - Earls Court Square area
These junctions are part of the Central London Grid - a set of connected routes for cyclists across central London comprising a network of Quietways and Cycle Superhighway routes.
As part of the Central London Grid, a route is proposed to run between Brompton Cemetery and Exhibition Road, along Bramham Gardens, Earls Court Square and Kempsford Gardens. We are therefore proposing changes to the junctions to make it safer and easier for cyclists, pedestrians and vehicles to cross.
What are we proposing?
Junction 1 - Earls Court Road / Bramham Gardens / Earls Court Square
The proposed changes include:
- Removal of existing island on Bramham Gardens and extension of footway to reduce pedestrian crossing distance
- Widening of the pedestrian crossings on Bramham Gardens and Earls Court Square
- Removal of existing island on Earls Court Square and provision of new smaller island with dedicated cycle stop line
Junction 2 - Warwick Road / Earls Court Square / Kempsford Gardens
- New signalised junction to allow cyclists, pedestrians and vehicles to safely cross Warwick Road. The traffic signals will be co-ordinated with other signalised junctions in the area and the changes are not expected to have a significant impact on journeys times for road users through the area, although vehicles exiting Earls Court Square will have to wait for a green signal as opposed to waiting for a gap in traffic as at present
- New signalised pedestrian crossing across Warwick Road on the southern arm of the junction. This new crossing will ensure that pedestrians can continue to cross Warwick Road safely and without significant delay
- Existing signalised pedestrian crossing removed (replaced by crossing on the southern arm of the junction). The existing double red lines will be painted across the removed zig-zag markings at the crossing
- Existing parking bay relocated 40m to the south-east on Warwick Road due to the new signalised junction. The existing restrictions would apply to the relocated parking bay.
Earls Court Square
- Vehicles permitted to travel straight over Warwick Road, westbound from Earls Court Square to Kempsford Gardens. This movement is currently banned
- Dedicated signals installed to inform cyclists of when to safely proceed from Earls Court Square
- Additional cycle stands provided to replace those removed from Kempsford Gardens
- Footway re-aligned to maintain existing parking for motorcycles, car share and local residents
- Existing contra-flow cycle lane widened for cyclists travelling eastbound on Kempsford Gardens
- Dedicated signals installed to inform cyclists of when to safely proceed from Kempsford Gardens
- Existing speed hump to remain to help control speed of vehicles travelling westbound on Kempsford Gardens