Camden Council proposes major improvements to Cobden junction – the junction of Camden High Street with Crowndale Road and Hampstead Road at its southern end.
They propose the following measures:
- eliminate the unnecessary northbound road on the east side of the island
- gain extra footway space on the east side of the road (uses to include cycle parking, trees, seating)
- widen the footway outside Mornington Crescent Station
- safer, quicker and simpler pedestrian crossings
- improved link for cyclists to the Mornington Crescent quiet route (from Arlington Road).
- new ASL boxes with lead-in lanes on the approach to the junction from Eversholt Street, Crowndale Road and Hampstead Road.
- re-site the statue of Richard Cobden and the war memorial
Proposal for contraflow cycling on Crowndale Road:
A few months ago, we were shown designs for a contraflow on Crowndale Road between Hampstead Road and Bayham Street with some junction changes at the latter to accommodate it. Unfortunately, this was rejected by TfL on the grounds that it would delay buses. This consultation notes that the layout has been designed to accommodate the contraflow at a future date.
This consultation also says that in addition, alternative options for providing a west to east link are being explored at both Delancey Street / Pratt Street and Oakley Square. We need to encourage Camden to pursue these essential links. In the case of the latter, there is an urgent need to allow cyclists to make right turn right into Hampstead road from the southern end of Mornington Crescent.
See consultation on Camden Council website: