Barnet council says:
The Finchley Central Town Centre Project commenced in mid-2016 to generate a town centre plan for Finchley Central. This project aims to deliver a comprehensive strategy for the Town Centre to identify and enable future investment in the town centre.
In order to develop this strategy, we have been involving residents, councillors and businesses in a number of community engagement exercises and consultations including but not limited to ‘Shaping Finchley’s Future’ in November 2016, ‘Hello, is it Finchley you are looking for’ a highsteet consultation base set up outside Tesco with local residents on the 17th and 21st September 2016 and a business survey conducted the Summer of 2016.
At the Shaping Finchley’s Future event, a number of residents indicated that they would like to see this initial draft strategy in order to provide more in depth feedback. In response to this, we have made the draft strategy available here and are seeking feedback.
The Town Centre Plan aims to:
- establish civic centres and public spaces at the core of the high street.
- support vital employment clusters as a key employment hub for the borough.
- identify development growth opportunities within the Town Centre.
- make the most of heritage assets by proposing high quality public realm improvements and reaffirming the historical identity of the area.
- improve gateways through developments, focusing on the two station gateway points into Finchley Central.
- ease pedestrian and cycle movement with long-term wider transport infrastructure improvements.
- create an inclusive high street that serves both local residents and worker throughout the week whilst supporting the evenining and weekend economy.
- establish a unique identity for the town centre which celebrates its unique charactre and asssets both historically and in present time.
The strategy has been developed in the context of the council’s Entrepreneurial Barnet Strategy and the place-based commissioning approach, which focusses on joining up council services in order to provide a better overall experience for residents and businesses.